I have been blogging for the past couple of years and love it. However, I have gone through a few “this is a nightmare” times… That feeling is what made me want to share these Blogging Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make when you are starting out. Don’t let that scare you, because I think blogging is awesome. I just want to help you not make the same mistakes I did.
5 Blogging Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make
1. Be prepared (know what you are getting in to). There are a couple of different blogging options. The main options are Paid WordPress – WordPress.com(which is what I have) or Free Blogger or WordPress.org (which is free but definitely read the fine print 😉 Personally I suggest starting off with the paid WordPress.com and buying a domain name from GoDaddy. Here is why… 99% of the time bloggers decide they wish they would have done it from the beginning rather then have to switch things up a year later. *Learn from my mistakes* For me everything has been trial and error. I started off with everything free on blogger. Although I loved the ease of blogger I really wanted to learn WordPress. I also wanted to step it up and have my own domain name which felt more professional. You can check out my blogging board for tons of great information.
2. It’s very important to realize everything you put on your blog is out there for the public to see. This might seem obvious, but I never really grasped how easy it is to look up information and pictures so just be careful what you make public on your blog. You can’t take this blogging mistake back and fix it. Once you put something out there for the world to see, it’s always out there.
3. Don’t compare yourself to anyone else. I know this is really hard to do. The thing is no matter what someone is always going to have more followers, have better pictures, or blog more often. I love the saying don’t compare your chapter 1 to someone else’s chapter 20. The thing is you really don’t know the other persons journey, life, or blogging experience, so do yourself a favor and try not to compare.
4. Be Picky when it comes to picking your pictures. Seriously a couple of Great pictures is so much better than 10 blurry pictures or no pictures at all. The best thing to do is have a good mix of visual content throughout your text. I’m a sucker for great pictures and sweet moments captured. Do yourself a favor now and sign up for Picmonkey Royale Membership. It gets you great fonts and editing tools for your pictures. It’s easy to use and so worth it. Or you might prefer Photoshop or Canva, but definitely use a good picture program. You know the saying… A picture is worth a thousand words 🙂
5. If you are super excited and ready to start blogging or just want to make sure you are automatically setting yourself up for success. Make sure you have a great host. I learned this the hard way and spent almost 6 months with my blog offline more than it was working. It was a nightmare of e-mails not getting answered and nothing working right. Bottom line is DO YOUR RESEARCH on hosting companies. Ask bigger bloggers who they use and love. If you want to sign up with the best here is the link to my favorite. Servously
Good Luck and Go for it! Blogging is a lot of fun. Whether you do it as a hobby or you want to dive in and make it your full time job – I know you can do it. Share something you are passionate about and enjoy everything that comes from it.