Whether you enjoy birds like us throughout the year or just want to do something special during the cold winter months. These birdseed ornaments are perfect. They are easy to make and a fun family craft that everyone can do. Plus the bird’s love treats too.
The kids and I can spend hours each day cuddled up in the sunroom reading and enjoying the all of the feathered friends right outside our window.
How to Make The Best Birdseed Ornaments
We love Birds! You might have figured that out already 😉 but I think you could consider us The Bird Family.
We love birdwatching, learning about birds, feeding birds and anything else having to do with birds. That is why I knew I had to share this easy DIY recipe for adorable birdseed treats with you. I’m sure your kids will love making these and hanging them for all of your backyard feathered friends to enjoy.
These DIY Birdseed Ornament Treats Are So Much Fun to Make
Remove from the heat and stir in the birdseed until well incorporated.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. (Pick out a few fun cookie cutters) Spray the cookie cutters with cooking spray and set on the pan.
Fill birdseed mixture into each cookie cutter. Make sure to pat down as you go and continue to fill until you reach the top of the cookie cutter. This is a great step to get the kids involved if they haven’t been already.
Next, insert the straw (This will make a hole so you can hang it).
Refrigerate for about an hour or until gelatin is set.
Remove the cookie cutters and straws and add ribbon or twine.
Hang outside for the birds to enjoy! Lovely…
We were even able to snap a pic of this sweet bird enjoying her treat.
If you want to add to your natural living these window bird feeders are great. They give you an up close view of lots of different birds.
The Best Homemade Birdseed Ornaments Recipe
- 2 Cups Birdseed
- 2/3 cup Water
- 2 Packets unflavored gelatin
- fun cookie cutters
- ribbon or twine
- Cooking Spray
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat combine water and gelatin. Mix well until gelatin is dissolved.
2. Remove from heat and stir in the birdseed until well incorporated.
3. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spray cookie cutters with cooking spray and set on pan.
4. Fill birdseed mixture into each cookie cutter. Make sure to pat down as you go and continue to fill until you reach the top of the cookie cutter.
5. Next, insert straw. (This will make a hole so you can hang it).
6. Refrigerate for about an hour or until gelatin is set.
7. Remove cookie cutters and straws. Add ribbon/twine.
8. Hang outside for the birds to enjoy!
You Might Also Like:
You Are Also Going to Love:
Studies have shown that if you really like this, you will also love the following articles. 🙂 I have pulled them together for you right here!
Join Our Private Group Natural Living and Learning on Facebook