For the past couple of years I’ve been on this journey to simplify our lives. So many different things led me to wanting this and that will take a whole series to explain. I thought I would start by sharing a few tips. A few things you can do to clear out your clutter and feel good about. Are you ready to simplify your life?
10 Things to Get Rid of Today to Help Simplify Your Life
1. Toys!!! I know some of you think your child is happy with more, but really they are happier with less. Less clutter, less noise… Less is Best!
2. For so long I never wanted to get rid of any books, but I realized my kids weren’t reading half of them and I really needed to see why. I boxed up books that were for babies (Bells just isn’t into them anymore). I found a lot of books that just didn’t fit our kids or our learning style anymore and I would rather see them go to children that might enjoy them.
3. Those jeans that fit you 5 years ago and you hope to get back into… Yea you should probably think of letting them go. Here is the thing, even if you can fit into them again, you probably won’t like the fit, the color, or style so just let them go to someone else.
4. Things that are sitting around waiting for a year to get fixed. Unless you have a child that loves tinkering let it go.
5. I know sometimes old bikes have great memories, but you probably aren’t going to want to give your grandchild that bike that is 20 years old. If the bike has been through your kids, why not allow another child to make great memories with it?
6. When was the last time you went through those high cabinets in your kitchen? Take a look, I bet you find a couple of things you completely forgot you even owned… Do you still need it?
7. Do you go through your kids closets every season? What about socks, bathing suits, shoes… I go through my kids closets pretty often. Even though we use a lot of hand me downs (3 boys all within 4 years of each other) some of the clothes I just don’t want to keep. The child doesn’t like jeans, or he prefers button up shirts, whatever the reason is we always have clothes that will go in the donate pile.
8. When was the last time you went through your families coats? There are so many people in this world that don’t even have a coat. Just a small donation of your families old coats can make a huge impact to someone’s life. You are also getting rid of what you don’t really need. It feels sooooo good!
9. This spring we cleaned off our back porch and donated outdoor play items that the kids never use anymore. Now our porch looks great and we have room to do something that the whole family can enjoy. It was an easy hour job of clean up 😉
10. Clear out the linen closet. I know most of us hang on to towels and sheets forever, but honestly organizing our linen closet felt so good. I realized we didn’t even use half of our beach towels. I kept our favorites and a few extras for guests and let the others go. As far as sheets, we had some that didn’t even fit our beds.
Organize and Simplify Your Home is a post I wrote about 18 months ago. It is about our journey to clear out our “stuff” and love our home. I hope you take the time to clean out the clutter and simplify your life. In return not only will it feel fantastic, you are also helping so many people.
Thanks to Goodwill and their “Donate Stuff. Create Jobs” program made possible by donations of clothes and household items, more than 261,000 people earned jobs in 2013. It is such a great feeling knowing your stuff is going to people that need it and helping others find jobs.
You’re literally donating your stuff AND helping to create jobs.
A clean and organized house never felt so good 🙂 Are you ready to Simplify your life?
Are you following Natural Beach Living on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter? It’s the best thing to do to get up to date activities, educational studies, parenting tips, homemade scentsational sensory play, learn about all of our favorite things, plus so much more. Sign up to get a weekly e-mail from me of all of our top posts plus some fabulous insider specials.