Preschoolers are a naturally curious bunch who love to explore the world around them. This makes them perfect students for STEM education. The early years are perfect for building a foundation for long term learning in areas of science, technology, engineering, and math or STEM. Before you get the science jitters, don’t worry, these lessons are simple and with the hands on discovery you may find them just as enjoyable as your preschooler.
STEM education for Preschoolers… We got this.
STEM Education for Preschoolers
Let children explore, ask questions, give them the time to figure things out, what works and what doesn’t.
I hope your child enjoys the free STEM printable provided below.
Activities for Preschool STEM
Water Play. Kids love to play in water and water provides plenty of opportunity to learn about science. Provide your child plenty of containers and a basin of water to begin experimenting. Discover water absorption with sponges, paper, cotton balls, and more. Add oil in a container with water to study how or if water mixes. Add small solid objects in a container of water to learn about water displacement.
Nature Walks. Simple nature walks can turn into a rich learning experience. Bring along plastic bags to gather little treasures and a notebook for tree rubbings and drawing pictures. Identify birds, bugs, trees, and flowers together. Sort through items picked up along the way into categories based on color, texture, size, etc. Build with them, count with them, examine them. The possibilities are endless.
Building Sets. Bring out your Lincoln Logs, Legos, or wooden blocks, and begin an afternoon of play. Build houses and discuss how to create a solid foundation and demonstrate why a wide base will support the blocks above it. Challenge your child to build the tallest tower and see whose tower is stable and whose has the most blocks. Playing with building blocks teaches math and engineering.
Racing Ramps. Gather up Hot Wheels, marbles, and small bouncy balls. Create a ramp out of cardboard. Roll two different objects down the ramp to see which one is the fastest. Experiment with different heights of the ramp to see how that affects speed. Record your findings on a graph. Try using paper towel rolls or gift wrapping paper rolls as tube ramps for added fun!
5 Items to Encourage STEM in Preschoolers
1. Skoolzy Straw Structure: Children will be thrilled to play with these interlocking pieces which can teach about grouping, sorting, building, and design.
2. Check out STEAM Kids: 50+ Science / Technology / Engineering / Art / Math Hands-On Projects for Kids
3. Kidwerkz Dinosaur Take Apart Construct and Play Series: A fun way to introduce a child to the concept of engineering and construction. Kids will have fun taking apart and putting together dinosaurs. The set comes with three dinosaurs and three screwdrivers making it great for more than one child to play together.
4. Marble Genius Marble Run Starter Set: With 60 marble run pieces and 10 glass marbles your child will have hours of fun creating marble runs and experimenting with the speed and travel of their marbles. This is a great budget friendly Marble run. We also Love the Wooden Hape Marble runs.
5. The Original Stomp Rocket: Kids will love this! They stomp and a rocket goes off into the sky. It can reach up to 100 feet. Since it glows in the dark you can have your children do this at night for an added thrill.
Download your STEM education printable below
Sign Up Here for Your STEM Printable
It’s a great idea to print out several of these journal STEM pages, so your child can use them anytime they want. Having them on hand makes for STEM education throughout the day.
You Are Also Going to Love: