The Magic Milk Science Experiment is a fun and simple experiment for children of all ages. It’s a great Science idea for preschoolers and Kindergarten as an introduction to learning about chemical reactions and colors. This color changing milk experiment is guaranteed to become one of your favorite kitchen chemistry experiments, and you can change up the colors for seasons and holidays.
Milk Science Experiment
Magic Milk Science Experiment for Kids – Montessori Science
What you will need to make your Magic Milk Experiment is in this picture below. However, I have it displayed in list form towards the bottom of the page. Have Fun!
Kids Science Table
If you are looking to make this a Montessori Science activity place these materials out on a tray for your children to enjoy for the day. If you want to do this activity together in a classroom or at home, this is all you need to make this a fun, hands-on science experiment.
affiliate links can be found on this blog at no cost to you.
Color Changing Milk Experiment
Begin by pouring some milk into a pie pan or shallow container.
Add several drops of different colored food coloring scattered over the surface of the milk.
The reason behind the milk change is the molecules of fats and proteins in the milk are being broken down by the soap. Then the soap is chasing the fat molecules trying to join with them.
Magic Milk Science Activities for Kids
Montessori Science Activities
This is an easy and super fun science experiment that uses common kitchen materials, so you probably don’t even need to go to the store. It only takes a couple of minutes to prepare on a tray and children as young as 3 can do this science experiment on their own.
Montessori Science Experiments
When the milk stops moving, and the reaction is finished, you can repeat the steps as many times as your children like. You can also change up the colors depending on holidays and themes too.
The swirls and bubbling of the milk colors kept going and going after the reaction. It was so cool to watch; the kids loved it!
Magic Milk Experiment
● Pie pan or another shallow container
● Food coloring – We used Red and Blue
● Cotton balls or Qtips
● Blue colored dish soap
1. Begin by pouring some milk into a pie pan or other shallow container.
2. Add several drops of blue food coloring scattered over the surface of the milk.
3. Pour in some drops of red food coloring on the surface of the milk. For the best results, try not to mix the red and blue food coloring together yet.
4. Dip a cotton ball into blue colored dish soap.
5. Place the soap covered cotton ball or Qtip into the center of the milk.
6. Watch as the colors magically swirl and twirl through the milk in the container.
7. You can dip additional cotton balls or Qtips into the dish soap and place them throughout the container into the milk to see the colors swirl in different directions.
**We used Blue and Red the first time because we enjoyed this Science Experiment over the summer (4th of July), then we did it again with a variety of colors. You can make this fun and add as many colors as you’d like. Think rainbow, or do other colors for different holiday’s.
Pin This Magic Milk Science Activity to Save for Later
If you are interested in a more in-depth explanation, head over to Steve Spangler Science for a full explanation.
YOU ARE ALSO GOING TO LOVE:
Studies have shown that if you like this, you will also love the following articles. I have pulled them together for you right here!