Every April we are lucky enough to celebrate Earth Day. Getting out into the community and continuing to teach people the importance of protecting the Earth makes my heart happy. In fact, Earth Day was started for everyone to show appreciation for our planet and the environment. Having a few fun, Earth Day crafts preschoolers and all kids for that matter can enjoy is another way to keep the communication going on the importance of our planet.
I hope you enjoy these super cute salt dough necklaces and salt dough ornaments.
Earth Day Crafts Preschoolers Love to Help Make
How to Make Salt Dough Necklaces for Earth Day
Sift flour and salt into a small mixing bowl, and mix in the water until you can form a ball. It will be similar to playdough. Do not add too much water, it shouldn’t be sticky.
Roll out the dough into about a ¼ inch thickness. Using the piping tip or something small and round(like a lid), cut out small round circles.
Take the end of a straw and make a little hole near the top of each circle that the twine will go through later.
Bake the dough circles for 1-1 ½ hours, or until dry and hard, but not brown. Remove them from oven and let them cool. We usually let them cool 30 minutes to 1 hour. So this is a great thing to start in the morning and have ready to paint in the afternoon 😉
Rock Earth Day T Shirts
A fun way to show your support for the Earth is rocking Earth Day shirts all year. These are a couple of our favorites.
You Might Want to Save this Earth Day Idea for Later by Pinning it
Earth Day Crafts Kids Love to Make – Salt Dough Necklaces
Salt Dough Necklaces for Earth Day
- 1 cup Flour
- ½ cup Iodized Salt
- ½ cup Water
- Craft Paint, blue, green, black, white
- Beads, blue and green
- Piping Tip, approx. 1” round
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Sift flour and salt into a small mixing bowl, and mix in the water until well combined. Do not add too much water, it shouldn’t be sticky.
- Roll out the dough into about a ¼ inch thickness. Using the piping tip, cut out small round circles.
- Take the end of a straw and make a little hole near the top of each circle that the twine will go through later.
- Bake the dough circles for 1-1 ½ hours, or until dry and hard, but not brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Paint/Decorate these any way you would like with things that would represent Earth Day.
- Let dry, then put the twine through the hole and thread on a few beads. Tie a knot the end to make a necklace.
- Have Fun!
Another Earth Day Craft Idea Using the Same Salt Dough Recipe
Using the same salt dough recipe above – press out the dough. Make larger circles using a small bowl. The ones you see here are approx. 2 1/2 in. around.
These Salt Dough Ornaments make an excellent Earth Day Art Project for all ages
Not only are these Earth Day Crafts Preschoolers love, but everyone loves them. Anyone from 1 to 100+ years old can enjoy painting and decorate salt dough.
Lovely Earth Day Art & Craft Activities – Pin it to save 🙂
You Are Also Going to Love:
Studies have shown that if you really like this, you will also love the following articles. I have pulled them together for you right here!