Are you ready for December Themes to enjoy this winter? These December themes will encourage you and your children to use some imagination and creativity to find new ways to see the fun in each and every day this season! It’s also a cool way to bring excitement to your workplace or home. Have fun!
December can be so busy! With all the planning, shopping, and celebrating it’s easy to feel overwhelmed, and planning even more activities or lessons can feel like a really big chore. This year, let me help you plan exciting lessons and activities for your kids all month long.
December Themes, Holidays and Activities
I’ve compiled a huge list of December themes for preschoolers, December themes for work, silly holidays to celebrate all December long, and awesome activities and printables too. These fun December activities and lessons will keep the learning going even during this busy holiday season.
Keep reading to discover all kinds of fun lessons and activities for December.
affiliate links can be found on this blog at no cost to you.
Holidays in December
There are all kinds of fun holidays to celebrate in December. We all know and love the big holidays like Christmas, but there are lots of fun, wacky, and unique holidays you can celebrate with your kids this December too.
Check out a few favorites:
- World Wildlife Conservation Day and Cookie Day on December 4
- International Ninja Day and Play Outside Day on December 5
- December 6 is St. Nicholas Day
- Cotton Candy Day and Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day on December 7
- December 10 is Nobel Prize Day
- Poinsettia Day, Gingerbread House Day, and Cocoa Day all happen on December 12
- Monkey Day and Yoga Day on December 14
- December 15 is Cupcake Day
- December 21is Winter Solstice
- Christmas Eve and Christmas Day on December 24 and 25
- Boxing Day is December 26
- December 28 is Chocolate Day
- December 31is New Year’s Eve
Books to Read This December
There are all kinds of great books you can read with your family this December! Winter begins in December, so it’s the perfect time to share seasonal books and holiday books together.
Snuggling up with a good book and a cup of cocoa (lots of marshmallows!) is the perfect way to spend quality time together falling in love with books this December.
Check out several great reads below:
- A World of Cookies for Santa by M.E. Furman
- The Cookie that Saved Christmas by Billy Baldwin
- North Pole Ninjas by Tyler Knott Gregson
- The Baker’s Dozen: A Saint Nicholas Tale by Aaron Shepard
- Girls Aren’t Made of Cotton Candy by Jennifer Miller-Joseph
- What Was Pearl Harbor? By Patricia Brennan Demuth
- How to Win a Nobel Prize by Prof. Barry Marshall
- Trust Me, Hansel and Gretel are Sweet! By Nancy Loewen
- The Legend of the Poinsettia by Tomie dePaola
- Jenny’s Winter Walk: A Kids Yoga Winter Book by Giselle Shardlow
- If You Give a Cat a Cupcake by Laura Numeroff
- The Shortest Day by Susan Cooper
- The Littlest Watchman by Scott James
- Little Red Sleigh by Erin Guendelsberger
- A Christmas Carol by Adam McKeown and Gerald Kelley
- Hot Chocolate for Santa Claus by RC O’leary
- The Night Before New Years by Natasha Wing
- The Christmas Crayons by Drew Daywalt
- A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig
Check out even more excellent books to read to your kids this December in these great holiday book lists:
December Themes for Preschool
Using themes in your classroom or home is a great way to get little learners engaged in the lesson. Plus, it’s an easy way to make learning extra fun for your children this year.
Check out some of the best preschool themes for the month of December to use in your classroom or homeschool:
- Arctic Animals
- Animals in Winter
- Candy Canes
- Christmas Around the World
- Jingle Bells
- New Years Eve
- Winter Solstice
Preschool Activities for December
There are so many fun preschool activities you can do this December to keep the learning going even during the busy holidays. Plus, these preschool activities for December are a great way to practice early literacy and numeracy skills and build fine motor skills too.
Check out my favorites:
- Santa Binoculars Christmas Craft
- Winter Animals Preschool Activities
- Montessori Arctic Activities
- Candy Cane Playdough
- Candy Cane Slime Recipe
- Christmas Scavenger Hunt
- Santa Treasure Basket: Christmas Sensory Bin
- Santa’s STEM Activities
- Christmas Movement Activities
- Gingerbread Man Crafts and Activities
- 21+ Paper Plate Crafts for Christmas
- Rudolph Popsicle Stick Craft
- Montessori DIY Button Tree
December Calendar Themes
Check out these cute December calendar themes! They’re perfect for displaying on your fridge or in the family command center this December.
You can use these December calendars with your preschoolers to help teach them about how we use calendars too. Plus, they’re filled with fun activities and ideas for the whole month!
- Random Acts of Kindness Christmas Calendar
- Free Christmas Calendar
- Winter Bucket List Christmas Calendar
- 15+ Unique Handmade Advent Calendars
- Kindness Advent Calendar
Random Acts of Kindness Ideas for December
December is the perfect month to focus on spreading kindness and showing gratitude. Encouraging your kids to be kind and show gratitude has tons of benefits for them and the world too. You can teach your kids all about kindness this December with random acts of kindness.
Random acts of kindness focus on doing nice things for others. Sometimes random acts of kindness require planning and forethought, but I’ve taken some of the work out for you by creating a few random acts of kindness activities ideas, and challenges for you to do with your family this December.
Acts of Kindness Ideas
Check out some of our family favorites to get you started:
- Winter Kindness Jar for Kids
- Random Acts of Kindness Calendar for December
- 25 Random Acts of Christmas Kindness
- Random Acts of Christmas Kindness Coloring Pages
- Random Acts of Kindness Christmas Basket
- Christmas Kindness Ideas on Printable Cards
- Kindness Advent Calendar
- Spread Christmas Cheer with Kindness Gifts
- 101 Best Random Acts of Kindness Ideas
I hope all these December activities, preschool themes, and lesson ideas have inspired you to get started on your December planning this year.
Share your awesome ideas for December holiday activities and learning fun all month long in the comments.
I can’t wait to read them and try a few with my kids