20+ September Preschool Themes with Lesson Plans and Activities
These September preschool themes include lesson plans and activities to do this Fall. There are more than 20 fun hands-on activities to explore with your little learners this season! Whether you homeschool, teach preschool or kindergarten or enjoy adding learning themes, you’ve come to the right place.
These Fall themes are fantastic! Pick one topic that you love or do them all and your children will be learning and having fun all Autumn long. They’re perfect for preschool learners, but kids of all ages can have fun with these September themes.
Preschool Themes for September
20+ September Preschool Themes with Lesson Plans and Activities
This September Preschool Themes Page is full of activities for science, math, crafts, learning about apples, the alphabet, autumn, hands-on activities, language, writing and more.
Most experts agree that thematic preschool units provide one an excellent way to teach young children while combining lots of different subjects. Keep scrolling to see all the Fall themed fun you can have with your preschoolers this year.
affiliate links can be found on this page at no cost to you.
Alphabet Theme for Preschool
- Letter of the Week Crafts are a fun way to help preschoolers remember the alphabet and practice phonemic awareness. Click here to get your letter of the week printable crafts for preschool learners.
- Other fun ways to practice learning the alphabet letters and sounds with preschoolers include Have Fun Teaching’s letter song series available for free on Youtube.
- Then, enjoy a fun alphabet book with your little learners. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr. has always been a big hit around here.
- Textured Alphabet Cards are perfect for practicing the alphabet in a tactile way. Kids can practice tracing the textured letters on apple-themed cards with their fingers to help prepare for handwriting. Or have your preschooler trace the letters with paint or glitter glue to create “texture” while practicing handwriting strokes and fine motor control.
- Fingerprint Painting is lots of fun all by itself, but with these easy printables, you can practice important counting skills in an exciting way with your preschool learner. Have your preschooler add the correct number of fingerprint “apples” to each barrel on the page to practice counting, one to one correspondence, and number recognition.
- Have a taste test! This fun experiment is perfect for introducing preschoolers to the scientific method with a tasty apple snack. Use this printable experiment pack to help you turn this apple taste test into a science experiment your preschoolers will remember.
- Apple Stamping Art is a fun way to encourage your kids to get creative and explore the stamping technique with an adorable Fall theme. Add extra learning fun by helping your preschooler count her apples after she’s finished painting.
Click here to check out the perfect apple books for kids
Preschool Camping Theme
- Try this campfire cookie recipe for a delicious treat that preschoolers will have fun helping to create and even more fun eating! Even if you can’t camp out or build a fire, these tasty cookies are the perfect way to bring some of the camping magic to your preschool learners right in the classroom.
- Preschoolers are fascinated by camping! Camping with little ones can be a lot of fun. For a simple camping experience with all of the fun and little of the hassle, try camping out in the backyard with your preschoolers this Fall. You can roast marshmallows, tell “scary stories,” and sleep in a tent in the yard.
- Sing camping songs with your preschoolers. I’m a big fan of Down by the Bay and She’ll Be Coming ‘Round the Mountain. Songs like these are perfect for engaging shy kids and boosting your preschoolers’ confidence this Fall.
Preschool Colors Themed Ideas
- Check out my tips on teaching colors and a list of games and toys to help your preschooler learn all about colors.
- Have a color scavenger hunt with your little learners! Scavenger hunts can be a fun way to help kids practice problem solving skills. Plus, they’re easy to customize to your child’s unique abilities and interests.
- Create a DIY color wheel to teach preschool learners all about colors and color mixing. This fun felt activity will also help you teach your kids how to sort colors, an important early math skill.
- Explore colors with 10 adorable picture books about rainbows. How the crayons saved the rainbow is one of our favorite color learning books.
Fall and Autumn Activities
- Explore my list of more than 40 exciting Fall preschool themes filled with fun learning activities, lesson plans, and printable bundles you can use to explore Autumn with your little learners this year.
- Read Goodbye Summer, Hello Autumn by Kenard Pak to help your preschoolers get ready for the season.
- Learn Autumn Leaves are Falling Down together. This adorable preschool song is perfect for learning about the changing seasons with little ones.
Grandparents’ Day Preschool Activities
- Make cards for grandparents with your preschool learners. It’s a great way to practice handwriting skills with young children while learning important lessons about gratitude and kindness.
- Make a handprint craft with your little learners. Grandparents love handprint crafts! It’s a nice way kids can create something special for them while having fun and learning too.
- Read My Grandparents Love Me by Claire Freedman. The rhyming verse in this book will help preschoolers practice reading comprehension as they remember the lines and retell the story to grandparents.
Honey Theme for Preschoolers
- Preschoolers can begin exploring honey with one of their favorite loveable bears: Pooh! Check out my list of more than 40 Winnie the Pooh themed crafts and activities you can enjoy with your kids this Fall.
- Read The Life and Times of the Honeybee by Charles Micucci. This nonfiction picture book helps preschool learners begin to understand why bees sting, how they communicate, and most importantly, how they create honey.
- Enjoy a honey themed snack with your preschoolers. Try honey roasted nuts, honey popcorn with bacon, or enjoy a simple but delicious honey stick with your kids today.
Johnny Appleseed Preschool Activities
- Johnny Appleseed by Will Moses is our favorite version of this loveable tall tale. Enjoy it together with your preschoolers and they’ll soon fall in love with this American legend too.
- Plant apple seeds with your preschooler and observe them as they begin to grow. It’s an excellent science project for little learners.
- Try one of my apple-themed crafts and activities for preschoolers to enjoy more Johnny Appleseed themed fun and learning with your preschool learners.
Labor Day Preschool Activities
- Write thank you letters to community helpers with your preschooler this Labor Day. It’s the perfect time to thank a firefighter, mailman, or police officer for their help in your community.
- Learn about careers by exploring a variety of jobs your kids want to learn more about this Labor Day. Encourage children to explore different careers and begin thinking about what they want to be when they grow up.
Music Activities for Preschoolers
- Build a water xylophone for a colorful musical experience with your preschoolers this Fall.
- Explore Montessori themed music activities with these easy-to-use printables for preschoolers, including musical instrument cards.
- Use playsilks and beanbags to play musical games like freeze dance and musical chairs to teach your preschoolers about music in a fun hands-on way this Fall.
- Make a pizza together! Who doesn’t love pizza? Cooking together in the kitchen provides important quality time while giving you the opportunity to practice skills like pouring and measuring with your preschooler.
- Read Pete’s a Pizza by William Steig and turn your little learner into a pizza with felt or construction paper ingredients. This adorable book will have you both giggling for hours!
Talk Like a Pirate Day Activities
- This super fun holiday is perfect for celebrating with preschoolers and learning a little bit more about pirates together too! Don’t forget to spend the day talking like a pirate. For extra fun, you can both dress like pirates too.
- Make soap with hidden treasures for your preschooler to discover using this easy recipe. Then, practice important hygiene skills together like proper handwashing.
- Watch Treasure Island together and get excited about pirates and buried treasure with your preschool learners.
Teddy Bears Preschool Theme
- Host a teddy bear tea party! You can serve real or pretend food at your tea party. Either way, it’s the most fun method for practicing table manners and etiquette with your preschoolers this Fall.
- Learn more about the most famous teddy bear of all with this list of Winnie the Pooh themed activities.
Fall Preschool Themes List
Most preschool teachers and homeschoolers agree that thematic units provide one of the best methods for teaching young children and combining lots of different subject areas.
Preschool Weekly Themes and Activities for September
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD SEPTEMBER PRESCHOOL THEMES LIST
These ideas for September preschool activities will give your children lots of hands-on learning experiences. What do you think about these fall themes? If you have a favorite theme for September learning, please share it with us in the comments section below.
Visual Schedule Printables Picture Cards
Want to explore more preschool themes and activities? Check out my list of themes for October here.
Don’t forget to share your own ideas and themes for preschool this year. I love reading about what you’re planning for your little learners in the comment section.
Studies have shown that if you like this, you will also love the following articles. I have pulled them together for you right here!